Program Updates: Online Lessons!
Saint James Music Academy Program Update
May 11th 2020
We’ve moved online! Saint James Music Academy continues to serve the children and families of the Downtown Eastside, now with online music lessons.
With the support and dedication of our experienced teachers and staff, we currently provide:
- 120 Individual online music lessons scheduled per week for students from grades 2-12.
- 14 Instruments / disciplines are taught: violin, viola, cello, double bass, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, flute, percussion, guitar, piano, voice, art, and dance
- 8 Small ensemble voice lessons per week
- 6 Weekly group lessons in dance for our youngest students, their siblings, and parents/caregivers
- 6 Weekly group lessons in Art / Drawing lessons
- Video message recordings from our teachers to our students, posted on our web page
- Weekly video recordings of singing lessons for our Seymour Elementary School Outreach Program
- Ongoing support helping our families to access instruments and instrument supplies, sheet music, tuning, and to overcome barriers to online access
In addition to our teaching curriculum, SJMA is also now:
- Distributing grocery store gift cards to help our families in this time of urgent need
- Partnering with local area organizations in an emergency hamper distribution project that to date has distributed hygiene supplies, including soap, masks and hand sanitizer to over two thousand Downtown Eastside area residents
Looking ahead to September, if necessary, our program will begin the new academic year online. As conditions permit, we plan to bring each student back on site to enjoy group music lessons together.
Saint James Music Academy is committed to supporting the families of the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood through the Covid-19 crisis and beyond, and to help our children continue to see a strong and hopeful future.
Thank you for your ongoing support!
Saint James Music Academy